- Olympic gold medals are actually made mostly of silver.
- Dimples on a golf ball help reduce drag, allowing the ball to fly further than a ball without dimples.
- Anaerobic exercise refers to high intensity activities over a short duration (e.g. sprinting) while aerobic exercise refers to physical activity performed at a moderate level over longer periods of time (e.g. jogging).
- Regular exercise helps boost the immune system.
- The string tension of most tennis racquets is around 50 to 70 pounds (220 to 310 newtons). With lower tension a tennis racquet produces less control and more power while higher tension produces more control and less power.
- The official distance of a marathon is 42.195 kilometres (26.219 miles).
- The tallest basketball players to ever play in the NBA were Manute Bol (from Sudan) and Gheorghe Muresan (from Romania). They were both 7 ft 7 in tall (231 cm).
- Common sports injuries include muscle cramps, muscle pulls, back strains, shin splints, tennis elbow (tendonitis), sprained ankles and plantar fasciitis (foot pain).
The fastest recorded tennis serve was 155 mph (249 kph), by Andy Roddick in 2004.
Regulation Major League baseballs feature exactly 108 stitches.
Snowboarders and ice skaters glide on a thin layer of water as their skates and boards heat the snow beneath them.
Modern swimwear has developed to the point where the fabric and designs are actually faster through the water than human skin. Controversial neck to ankle suits have been one of the reasons behind the consistent breaking of world record times since they were introduced around the year 2000.
Curling stones used in the Olympic sport of curling are made from granite.
Astronaut Alan Shepard played golf on the Moon after he smuggled a golf ball and club on to the NASA Apollo 14 mission to the Moon in 1971.
The diameter of a full sized basketball is half the diameter of a basketball hoop.
Source: Science Kids
Low back pain is particularly prevalent among younger fast bowlers. The repetitive action of bowling for long spells places excessive stress on the tissues of the lower back, where stress fractures of the vertebra (Spondylolysis) can develop.
Swimming laps using a freestyle stroke will use the muscles of your legs, arms, shoulders, buttocks and more.
Every MLB ball is covered in mud from a secret location in New Jersey that only one man knows.
Tennis balls are a great massage tool for releasing muscle tension in concentrated areas.